Democracy and Development in South Africa

Cape Town, South Africa

Thursday, May 31, 2012

On behalf of Sebastian Insfran, who for some reason cannot acccess the blog :)

The importance of “in situ” learning!

I cannot even describe how valuable I am feeling this trip has been so far for me. I met new peers that I can say now are part of my “South African” family; I am witnessing spectacular landscapes with beautiful mountains and vineyards on one side and the magnificent Atlantic Ocean beaches on the other; and I am learning more about this incredible country every new minute I spend on this trip.
What I believe is the most importance feature of this South African Program is the opportunity of actually feeling with all our senses each one of the lessons learned in the lectures that we are having during our stay. We could definitely have each one of those lectures back in DC, but that would have not been the same. By being in person in South Africa, I am actually observing and partially experiencing much of the challenges and the opportunities that the country, and Cape Town, as one of its most important cities, are facing in the Post-Apartheid period. For instance, I would able to perceive the reminiscences of Apartheid by observing the division of Cape Town in townships and luxury neighborhoods, and the clear differences in the cultural and economic livelihoods of white, coloured and black populations. Moreover, on the one hand I could observe how Black Economic Empowerment works in the “Thandy” agricultural cooperative, and on the other hand, how many political and cultural challenges restrict the work of NGOs in their fight against HIV/AIDS. Finally, I was capable to talk with locals and perceive their restrictive hope about a country that they know have serious obstacles to surpass in the immediate future, but have many reasons to hope for better perspectives given its unsurpassable position in the African continent.
That is the magic of what I call the real “in situ” learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment